- Haul a load of garbage to the area landfill.
- Buckle down and begin working on next year’s taxes by listing itemized deductions so far this year.
- Set about cleaning the oven in the kitchen stove by hand scrubbing, positioning yourself on your knees.
- Search your lawn for weed growth, removing any incipient infestations with a metal-pronged tool and depositing the residue in a compost heap you can start in the next recommended item.
- Put aside long-standing delays by starting that fun compost heap that you’ve been intending to establish for potato peelings, eggshells and other items, such as lawn weeds.
- Paint something — anything in the house like a kitchen or bathroom using oil-based paint for difficult, messy cleanup.
- Visit a dentist and have him or her yank those crooked teeth to make way for an improved smile.
- View a video of an opera. Any opera. (Actual opera lovers are exempt from this recommendation.) Warning: Do not include “Nixon in China” by John Adams (not THAT John Adams).
- Discover Duluth’s out-of-the-way attractions and historic sites such as the site of the former sludge pond near a one-time slaughterhouse on Oneota Street, or the dump in Gary-New Duluth where construction debris is deposited.
- Eschew former inhibitions and go ahead and build a birdhouse in the garage.
- Brush up on your Shakespeare.
- Visit a proctologist to discuss upping the rate of your colonoscopies.
Saturday, June 16, 2018
Wednesday, June 6, 2018
Note from Jim: The 2018 MN legislature appropriated money for refurbishing Duluth's Lake Superior Zoo. Alas, plans are not to include an elephant. I thought it would be respectful to old Bessie, the Zoo's long-gone elephant, to re-print this Zenith City Online post remembering her.
|Lake Superior Zoo: 1962|